Thursday, May 28, 2015

May 11, 2015 Long Time No See

Hi ya Fam!

It was great getting to talk to you all yesterday! Except for Kate, unfortunately. Missed ya Kate!  I was sad you guys had to go. I mentioned to Elder McPherson afterwards that I could have talked with you guys for hours!! Which I intend to someday!  One thing I did miss yesterday was when I got to talk with just Mom and Dad, you remember? I liked that. Shame you guys had to catch that plane. How did you score a small plane like that? When I show that picture to others, it'll look like we've got a private plane!
Anyhow, yesterday, you'll never guess, but I got a cake from the Hamilton's, a family in our ward! So kind of them!! I've barely met them!! What an awesome family. Their daughter is the one that had served in Batavia. I'll send a picture when I can. Haven't eaten it yet! Gotta do that. :)

Well, I don't really know what to tell ya that I didn't mention during the Skype. 

I've been reading this textbook we have in our flat of the history of the church. And in it there's this story I want to tell yous: So Parley P. Pratt was leading an expedition to explore the Salt Lake Valley. One day he woke up to find that they had been completely buried in the snow! He said he "shouted for all to arise with the sound of a trump. The mounds stirred, the graves were opened, and we all arised again. We called it Resurrection Camp." 

I was reading that and just laughed right out loud at that one. Did you know Brigham Young got chased by a grizzly bear during the trek?

Joseph Smith did so much. I can't help but think that he didn't do all he was supposed to, but he must have. God Himself said that he wouldn't be taken until he had done all he was supposed to. Which is interesting. Why didn't we get all the Bible? Why just a small portion? Interesting...

Missions are hard. Very hard. Both Elder McPherson and I are pretty quiet, so it's hard for both of us to talk to people sometimes. It's just hard to get a gospel conversation going after small talk.  I'm doing my best and hopefully representing the church well.  We are kind to everybody.
Well, this has been a boring email. Just know that I love you guys, and I was so grateful to talk with you. Love ya! :)

Elder Bates

No comments:

Post a Comment