Tuesday, July 22, 2014

First Email in the Field! - July 7, 2014

Dear Family,

Well hello! How are you all doing? I'm doing fine, I've just had THE BEST WEEK EVER!!!!

Well, debateably the best week ever... I'd say the week the apostles had with the ressurected Lord was probably... I digress.

And now, the moment I'm sure you've all been waiting for!! My first area IS.......

CUMBERNAULD!!

"Cumbernauld? Where on earth is Cumbernauld!?"

Well, I'm glad you asked! It's a wee town just south of Glasgow Scotland. More about that later.

And now, the second moment I'm sure you've all been waiting for!! My first companion IS.........

ELDER MASSEY!!

He's from North Carolina, in a wee town whose name eludes me. To be honest, I know very little about him beyond that. He's been out a year, and he's been in Ireland most of that time. He's very fun, and is planning on majoring in Archaeology from some North Carolina University, so we both share an interest in history. 

Cumbernauld isn't much of a town. It mostly consists of houses and apartments. Nearly everybody lives here but works up in Glasgow. The town center is inside a mall, if that tells you anything haha. In fact, it's over a freeway. That's right, over a freeway. You've seen those causeways that goes over roads that lets people go from one part of a store/mall to another? Well slap a bunch of offices to that and you've got Cumbernauld Town Center! Me and Elder Massey find it very odd to say the least.

Also, when I say houses, I mean apartments. There aren't any houses, as we tend to think of them. And by apartments, I mean flats. That's what they call them. It's odd. French Fries are chips, elevators are lifts, and they don't have any door knobs. That's right, no door knobs. The reason is a little complicated. 
First of all, every flat can be locked from both sides. However, both sides requires a key, unlike the American way of having a lever for locking from the inside. This means that it is possible (and it does happen too) for someone to be locked within their own house. Crazy right? People also lock their doors whenever they close them. The first time I knocked on a door and the person closed it, they locked it. I thought it was funny. "What, do they think we're going to try and barge in?" But Elder Massey said that was typical. Because of their constant use of locks, there isn't much need for a door knob. Every door has a door handle instead, but it's honestly only used as something to push/pull on when opening a door. And that's why there are no door knobs in Scotland.

You see a ton of stickers and signs about the vote for independence! The coolest is of the Scottish flag, with "END LONDON RULE!" emblazoned on it. Apparently, Braveheart is on the telly all the time too. But not on BBC. Despite their rule of political neutrality, they have been heavily pro no. They keep portraying the vote like it's going to be a washout of no's, but according to more Scottish channels, it's the other way around. I honestly don't know which to believe, but I'm pretty darn sure Scotland will get their independence come September!

All of this is just stuff I hear from ward members and people on the street, mind you. I obviously can't find out such stuff on my own!

Anyhow, the people are fantastic, and the ward is tiny! There's about fourty on a typical Sunday. They don't even have pews in the chapel!

We've met a couple of people going door to door that show interest. Three on one street in fact! That's rare. I'd love your prayers on their behalf. We haven't met with them again yet, but are going to later this week. 

Funny story! My first day, one of the first doors I knock, this old guy opens the door.
"Good evening!"
"Good evening!"
"How are you doing?"
"I'm doing great thanks! Cheerio boys!" *slam*
It all happened so fast, and his accent just made it perfect. I laughed so hard afterwards.

Also, this one time, while we were walking down the street, this boy showed us a trick! He was able to ride his bike with no hands! Because he was using them to flip us off! I was so impressed! He yelled at us to not come by appartment 19B. Elder Massey scheduled them for this thursday.

Anyhow, most everyone is so nice, so it's hilarious when you meet someone like that.
I have to get going now! I miss you all and love you so much! I love hearing from you in letters and emails!! 
The gospel is true! And it will be sounded around the world!
Elder Bates

No comments:

Post a Comment